Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Fancies Love Tedd Decker

After giving myself a small breather from the blogger sphere, I’m back to tickle your fancy… I’m not sure that was the term I wanted to use, but for now we will leave it as is and hope someone gets a chuckle…  What does “your fancy” look like anyway?  And why is everyone trying to tickle it?  Poor little fancy getting tickled all the time.  It’s probably living a life similar to Howie Mandel if he were stuck in the body of his cartoon creation Bobby.


You know cuz Fancies don’t really like being tickled and are probably afraid of germs.  But they still like to cruise the town on their big wheel with their giant stuffed animal spider friend who they periodically use as a multi-tool.
 

All that to say,
Let’s just leave the poor fancies alone.

In other news,
I just finished reading the first of The Circle Trilogy by Tedd Decker called “Black”.  What a FANTASTIC BOOK!!!  My fancy was tickled by it, but in a non-intrusive manner. This was also a rather large accomplishment for me, since it’s literally been years since I’ve been able to actually focus enough to read through an entire ANYTHING.  What I’ve discovered is something that truly fascinates and excites me.
SCREENS AGITATE THE MIND.
That doesn’t mean that whenever I look at the screen on my phone it turns in to my little brother at 5 years old poking me in the ribs in the back of the car.  It means that, in a nut shell, it shakes things around in my brain, making it harder to focus on other things.
Screens, and florescent lights for that matter, though they look like they are holding a solid image constantly, are actually emitting quick flashes over and over again.  To a person with A.D.D. this creates agitation in the brain and makes things much more difficult.  I’ve discovered that by simply eliminating time in front of screens, and I was having a TON of it, I have amplified my focus and decreased stress levels!  Just from that one decision!
So here’s my challenge to YOU.  Adults, lower the amount of time you are spending in front of any type of screen.  If you work in an environment where that is part of your job, then take whatever time you can get away from that screen while at work.  Don’t pull out your cell phone and start playing Angry Birds With Friends.  Instead, snag a book and REST YOUR BRAIN.  You will see a difference in a matter of DAYS.  I promise.
Parents with kids who have A.D.D. or A.D.H.D. do the same for them.  Get them away from screens and outside, drawing, reading, building, or whatever other non-screen activity you can think of.
I am a firm believer in the fact that medication for A.D.D. and A.D.H.D. should be an absolute last resort for treatment.  We need to start looking at life changes before taking a pill or cramming one down our kid’s throats.

End.

No comments:

Post a Comment